There is nothing more inspiring than a room full of women supporting other women. A huge thank you to Jackie Hartman, Business Relationship Manager at Cargill and Robin Brown, CIO North America Protein at Cargill for leading a compelling discussion on the topic, 2019: Reaching Your Full Potential. We kicked off our meeting last Thursday with Jackie reciting a poem by Mary Oliver titled “The Summer Day” (1992).
There were two themes that laid the groundwork for our session; why let fear stop you? and taking the next step. Before each breakout session, Robin and Jackie read a quote and asked a few probing questions:
The key to growth is acknowledging your fear of the unknown and jumping in anyway – Jen Sincero
In 2019, what is something you want to do, but are hesitant, because of fear? What are you willing to do to “jump in anyway?”
You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the next step. – MLK
What does this quote mean to you? What could be possible if you focus on the next step? How might you change your mindset?
Here are some key points that were highlighted during the discussion:
- As women, we always want to know everything before we take a step forward.
- Progress over perfection
- Applying the process of agile to our personal life
- F.E.A.R – Face Everything And Rise
- If you don’t take care of yourself, how can you benefit other people?
- Say with confidence: “I am open to change”
- The imposter syndrome
- Artificial things we put in our head
- Change our perspective
- Increase confidence
- We take for granted the things we are good and overlook them
- Always keep a list of things you are good at
- Not knowing should not instill fear
We are now three months into 2019, are you taking the correct steps to reach your full potential this year? Thank you all who came out last Thursday and shared their stories, failures, and success. As we continue our efforts to increase the number of women in IT, it is crucial now more than ever for women to stand together and reach their full potential. If you are interested in getting involved in our Women in Leadership group apply here.