September 30, 2014
Moving can be a huge adjustment for anyone, especially if you are not completely acclimated to your new location. IT consultants sometimes travel to help maximize relationships with their clients and further the success of the organization’s business initiatives. However, opportunities sometimes arise that require relocation for career advancement and opportunities. In an effort to help streamline the process of transitioning from one market to the next, here are a few tips to keep in mind when making that next leap. (You can do it!)
- Plan and Prepare – Research the new market and company to familiarize yourself with the culture of the business, projects that are in the works, location, traffic routes, etc. Being prepared will make the transition exponentially easier.
- Networking – Once you get settled, take some time to meet other IT professionals. Moving to a new market is an excellent opportunity to expand your network and open yourself up to new opportunities and perspectives.
- Find a Mentor – Through the connections that you make by networking or even within your new organization, try and find someone who can be a mentor to you either formally or informally. Being able to communicate your concerns, discuss solutions, and seek advice on navigating a new company/market will be incredibly beneficial to you, once again, making your transition that much easier.
- Never Stop Learning – Increasing your business and technology knowledge and expertise can help you establish yourself as resource in your new environment. Earning relevant IT certifications can aid you in your role and make you even more marketable to current and future employers.
- Stay Healthy – Ensure that you are getting the proper amount of sleep and nutrition. Traveling can be exhausting and stressful which can lower your immune system. Stay healthy to stay productive both in and outside of the office.
- Embrace the New Experience – The beauty of moving is having the ability to experience new cities and cultures outside of your comfort zone. A new environment can help you grow both personally and professionally. The key is to embrace the change! Succeeding in a new market is all about how you manage your new environment. Take advantage of all your resources and don’t be afraid to ask for help. With some ample preparation and research, your transition to a new market will be much smoother and success will be just around the corner.
Have you made the move from one city to the next? What are your tips for a successful transition?
Posted By: Anastasia Hoosman
November 18, 2014 10:49 AM
I have been visiting your blog for a while now and I always find a gem in your new posts. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Lauren
December 11, 2014 12:51 PM
yorksolutions.net is a one of the more useful blogs I have seen. Thanks so much for keeping the internet classy for a change. You have got style, class, bravado. I mean it. Please keep it up because without the internet is definitely lacking in intelligence.
Posted by: Ellie